Thursday, June 14, 2012

GOT MY NEW TICKET, ENJOYING MY LAST WEEK AT HOME

Ah, yes, the craziness of last minute preparations. Turns out the flight the school originally booked on Cathay Pacific was full. (Maybe this wouldn't have happened if they had booked two months in advance instead of two weeks in advance. Maybe, just maybe?) So, Lynsey and I will be travelling the 16th, as planned, but now we will go via Turkish Airlines. No longer are we going Chicago to Hong Kong to Jakarta; now it's Chicago to Istanbul to Jakarta. Going the other way around the world now, but it's still going to be a very, very, very, very long flight either way. I am excited to stop in Istanbul, however.

In the meantime, I'm packing and repacking my bag, trying to get the distribution of weight and items just right. My suitcase is 45lbs (35lb of stuff, 10lbs of suitcase,) which doesn't sound too bad, but it's a little unwieldy all the same. I justify it as being necessary for a two year move. I wouldn't have so many things with me if this was only a short stay. Still, in the remaining days I might just dump everything out on the floor and resort it all again.

I'm also enjoying my last days at home with my family. (There I go, sounding morbid again!) We have some nice family dinners planned and tomorrow, Katie and Sarah, my two dear friends, are coming over for dinner and a bonfire and to wish me bon voyage.

Despite having no visa and a last minute flight change, I'm feeling surprisingly calm. I am confident that I will get there one way or another. It will be a weekend of travel and checkpoints, but once I'm in my new home in Jakarta, I can settle in and start exploring the city!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danna! Hope your trip goes well!
    -Andrea, Nick, James, & DOminic

    ReplyDelete